Thursday, April 9, 2009

Cheap and Easy Recipe- Pumpkin Muffins (or Bread)

You don't have to wait until the fall to indulge in great pumpkin dishes!! One of my favorite cheap and easy recipes are these amazing pumpkin muffins! (You could also make bread with the same recipe) Try it out and let me know what you think. I usually double or triple this recipe so I can use the entire can of pumpkin and I freeze the leftovers...but to be honest, we rarely have any! :)

Pumpkin Muffins

1 1/2 cups flour (I use 3/4 cups wheat flour and 3/4 white flour for a healthier option)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs, beaten slightly
1/4 cup water
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. allspice (I use pumpkin pie spice instead since I already had some in the pantry)
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Preheat the oven to 375.

Mix the flour, salt, sugar, and baking soda together in a bowl and set aside.

In another bowl, mix the pumpkin, eggs, water, oil, and spices. Add the dry ingredients and mix well.

Stir in the nuts if you're using them.

Pour into muffin tins and bake for 20 minutes.
If you want to make a dessert out of this, cream cheese frosting on the top is amazing! (thanks for the tip Jenn!)

Options: Pour into a loaf ban and bake at 350 for one hour.
*I have never stoped to take a picture of my pumpkin muffins but they look very similar to the one above found at http://pinchmysalt.com/.

0 comments: